Hi, Everyone! Hope you had a good weekend! We were very low key with a quick dinner out at our favorite neighborhood place on Friday and home on Saturday. We started watching (binging) The Handmaid’s Tale this past weekend and cannot quit watching. Have you all seen it? I read the book many years ago and forgot how creepy it was until this weekend. I cannot stop thinking about it! Anyway, today is all about how to stay cool in the heat! I know that the hottest months in Dallas are typically July, August, and September, but until the heat arrives, I kind of always forget how hot it can feel. Starting today, we are in the triple digits for the next week, and Saturday is showing to be 107 (Holy S**t)!
What do you wear when the temperatures rise to “hell” like conditions? Nothing!!! I guess we can’t do that, but a few suggestions on how to keep cool when you are out and about.
- Cotton and Linen are the fabrics to wear- try this skirt with a cotton tee.
- Loose fit clothing– The top I have on is an example of that. This top is from Free People and comes in two other colorways. It is a boxy silhouette, so it’s not touching my body.
- All white– Love these wide-leg pants and top.
- Avoiding flimsy fabrics– Wearing lightweight fabrics sound good in hot weather, but unless they have some structure to them (seams or embroidery) they are going to stick to you like molasses as soon as the sweating starts. Wearing something like this is perfect!
- Avoid wearing light blue– Did you know this color shows sweat more than any other color? If you are planning on being outside for any length of time and want to look sweat free, black may be the way to go. Turns out black is the color that absorbs everything coming in from the sun, but also absorbs energy from the body instead of reflecting it back (fun fact!). How cute is this black jumpsuit? Or…remember this dress?
- Wear a hat – The only point on your body where the most heat escapes is your head. When it’s boiling out, you want that heat to escape. No other material will allow that except for straw, so unless you have a cute straw hat, don’t wear one!
- Wearing a jacket– If you have to wear a jacket to work or a meeting, be sure that it is unlined, like this one.
Staying hydrated and keeping your skin protected is vital during these hot summer months! I like this sunblock (for the body) and order this water weekly! Oh, and don’t forget the deodorant…which brings me to my favorite. I cannot tell you how much I love Kopari deodorant. It is an aluminum free deodorant, but don’t let it scare you off! I promise after wearing it for three days, my body got used to it and I really don’t sweat that much (or at all). It smells fantastic, is easy to remove in the shower at the end of the day, and is a lot healthier than regular deodorant. I am OBSESSED with it!
So, I know this has nothing to do with keeping cool, but I wanted to give you my picks for shoes from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Everything seems to be selling out quickly, so I wanted to make sure you all saw these.
I also wanted to fill you in on something that is new to me. Amazon Prime Day starts today at 3 PM and lasts until tomorrow at midnight. Prime Day is a global shopping event where Prime members can shop hundreds of thousands of deals sitewide, with new deals starting as often as every five minutes.
I hope you have a great day and stay cool! xx
Photos: Danielle Sabol